15 Leading Product Information Management Software Solutions for Retailers
As your retail business expands, keeping track of product data can get increasingly more difficult. All the SKUs, descriptions, pricing information – it can get unwieldy fast.
Fortunately, product information management platforms, or PIM software for short, can help you better manage that information and stay organized – no matter how many SKUs you have under your belt.
Below are 15 of the top PIM platforms for online retailers.
Top 15 PIM Software Platforms for Retailers
(*Not in order of preference)
Akeneo was made to deal with large quantities of product information… like tens or hundreds of thousands of SKUs, hundreds of attributes, and what at times seems like an infinite number of images and product descriptions coming from your suppliers. Akeneo lets you organize your data, take a deep breath, and get on with your other jobs making it an ideal PIM software solution.
- Centralize all product information in one place
- Distribute product data across multiple channels
- Rule and workflow creation for supplier data
InRiver allows you to push product information to virtually any channel you own, including e-commerce sites, catalogs, mobile devices, signage, in-store point-of-sale systems and more.
InRiver even lets you take online-only information, like customer ratings, reviews, comments and behavior, and use them in other areas of the retail business.
Retailer fit: inRiver is designed for both B2B and B2C retailers. It’s ideal for any business with lots of product data across multiple channels, specifically ones with a lot of online consumer participation.
- Offers extensions for Magento-based stores
- Supplier onboarding tools to increase information quality and eliminate errors
- Enhanced search capabilities and query building
- Planner app to handle and plan for future campaigns, promotions and product launches
- Channel to channel functions, so you can use data seamlessly between tasks
Salsify is a cloud-based PIM software platform that gives everyone across your organization access to the same, real-time data from anywhere in the world.
Salsify integrates easily with all major ERP, DAM and e-commerce platforms.
Retailer fit: Ideal for retailers with a lot of cooks in the kitchen. Its flexible permissions, collaborative tools and audit history capabilities make it perfect for big teams with lots of ever-changing product data.
- Real-time collaboration allows you to see updated when teammates contribute to or change product data
- Unlimited users, workflows, channels and storage
- Multiple languages, including English, French, Hebrew, Arabic, Chinese, Japanese and more
- One-click reminders, so you can request product data or images from your suppliers or teammates
- Scalable so you can expand during growth and cut back during hard times
Oracle’s PIM software solution creates a central repository for all vital product data, including both supplier information and individual location/channel information.
Oracle is one of the most widely used PIM platforms around.
Retailer fit: Oracle’s PIM software is designed more for B2C work – for sharing and disseminating product information throughout the organization and with business partners and suppliers.
- Helps ensure compliance with industry regulations
- Allows you to securely share product information with partners and teammates
- Easily scalable
The Hybris master data management and PIM software solution centralizes all product and customer data in one single view. combines internal and external data sources, offline
Hybris software combines internal and external data sources, offline channels and online channels, and allows users across the organization to access the information in real time.
Retailer fit: The Hybris solution is Ideal for B2C retailers with a lot of online presence. It’s designed to enhance traditional PIM systems with additional online and digital features and to improve the overall customer experience.
- Also works with user-generated content
- Functions across multiple devices
- Allows for down-channel selling and unique catalog production for different sites, enterprises and groups
- Has built-in search engine optimization tools
- Offers seamless conversion between currencies and markets
- Easy-to-use import tools for supplier onboarding
Agility is a user-friendly PIM software solution that can be custom-fit to any individual role or organizational need.
Agility Multichannel offers dynamic workflows, streamlined processes and enriched content, and its built-in integration tools make the info gathering process simple and easy.
Retailer fit: Agility is good for both B2C and B2B retailers with a need for a customizable data management solution. Retailers who need a lot of visibility on performance and financial data would also benefit from Agility.
- Contextual views let you customize and adapt data to each specific channel
- Integrates easily with existing e-commerce systems
- Allows you to automate every step of every process
- Provides real-time financial and performance analytics
- Offers content history and auditing
IBM InfoSphere is a robust solution designed to give retailers and businesses the real-time data they need to make strategic decisions. It offers data aggregation and syndication, collaborative workflows, auditing, reporting, flexible data modeling and hundreds of other helpful features.
InfoSphere consolidates data across all channels, including ecommerce, in-store, kiosk, mobile, print catalogs and more, and it is one of the most popular PIM software solutions around.
Retailer fit: IBM InfoSphere is designed with B2B retailers in mind, offering them an effective means of communicating real-time, up-to-date information to partners and suppliers.
IBM InfoSphere features:
- Advanced reporting and auditing features
- Mass updating capabilities
- Rich text editors for web-style content
- Extensive modeling capabilities that can change as a business expands
ADAM’s PIM software solution is designed with the customer in mind – to deliver a rich, informative and up-to-date experience across every channel. aims to eliminate data silos, and make information easy to edit, change and update by anyone throughout a retailers’ organization.
ADAM aims to eliminate data silos, and make information easy to edit, change and update by anyone throughout a retailers’ organization.
Retailer fit: ADAM is ideal for B2C retailers looking to improve their customer experience. It offers advanced tools for managing content, workflows and more, and you can even opt for ADAM 5, an enhanced enterprise marketing platform that works hand-in-hand with its PIM solution.
- Works seamlessly with rich media, including videos, audio and imagery
- Ensures consistency in branding, product details and marketing themes with configurable widgets
- Offers accelerated workflows for content creation, product launch, translation, localization and more
- Customizable functions can be tailored to each individual or departments’ needs
- Offers drag-and-drop capabilities so you can move products, categories and more easily and quickly
EnterWorks PIM solution, called Enable, is an enterprise platform that manages content and digital assets, allowing retailers to publish them on multiple mediums with ease.
EnterWorks creates a central repository of data which can be managed, enriched, syndicated and collaborated on by multiple users and across applications.
Retailer fit: Many of EnterWorks’ customers are manufacturers, distributors, dealers and other B2B companies, but consumer goods retailers may also see benefit from it.
- Easily manages digital assets like multimedia, images, documents and more
- Allows users to export data and publish on ecommerce sites, web and print catalogs, business applications, data pools and more
- Offers portal-based applications for dealers, suppliers, sales team members, customer service reps and other personnel
- Has flexible data modeling and streamlined workflows
- Offers unlimited attributes and extensible taxonomies
10. Stibo Systems
Stibo Systems’ PIM solution is a part of a larger, master data management suite, which also includes digital asset management, multidomain MDM, data governance and data quality modules.
The PIM module merges product information across organizations to ensure consistent, accurate data 24-7. It allows users to manage and update every aspect of their product data, including hierarchy, structure, attributes, approvals, versioning and validations, and see it changed in real time.
Retailer fit: Since the PIM software comes as a part of a larger MDM suite, Stibo Systems is best for retailers with larger data management issues on their hands.
- Allows users to share information seamlessly with back-end systems
- Eliminates data silos and ensure regulatory compliance with its multidomain MDM module
- Lets users quickly search through digital assets and manage digital rights/usages with DAM module
- Increases accuracy of printed materials with Print Publisher module
Unlike most PIM solutions, Informattica one doesn’t come in separate modules. It’s a comprehensive, holistic hub of information taken from all a retailers’ channels and platforms.
Informatica is easy to integrate, and requires only simple configurations to start using.
Retailer fit: Informative is best for B2C retailers looking for a way to improve their product data accuracy and shorten their supplier onboarding process.
- Simple supplier portals for self-onboarding
- Intuitive tools that help you segment, personalize and get more from your sales
- Manages and automates business processes
- Integrates easily with ecommerce systems, point-of-sale devices, catalogs, mobile apps and more
- Offers a simple web-based search
Pimcore is an open-source multi-channel management platform. It gives retailers full control over all web properties, marketing campaigns, data channels (mobile, app, desktop, social and print), and content.
Pimcore also has built-in tools for email campaigns, newsletters, social media efforts and more.
Retailer fit: Pimcore is one of the few PIM software solutions that allows you to manage app and mobile content seamlessly, so it’s a great fit for cutting edge companies with their hand in technology. It also have built-in marketing tools that can offer added value.
- Completely open-source, allowing designers and developers to create easy microsites, responsive sites, mobile sites, landing pages, mobile apps and more
- “Connect anything” architecture allows any piece of content or data to connect with Pimcore’s platform, so you can manage and control it from one central hub
- Powerful and easy-to-understand user interface
- User-specific dashboards
- Schedule publishing
- Built-in style editors, snippets, widgets and responsive design
- Google site search integration
- Built-in image editor
- Social media reporting, QR code management, Google Webmasters and Analytics integration
Merchantry’s PIM software is built with retailers in mind. It lets multi-vendor retailers scale their workflow, simplify
Suppliers enter their information into a personal portal, and that data is funneled into the retailers’ portal. Finally, that product and inventory information can be managed and pushed out to selling channels online, in print or in store.
Retailer fit: This is ideal for retailers with a large number of vendors and suppliers, as it offers a self-onboarding process. This speeds up the time-to-market and cuts down on in-house labor costs.
- Automatic data validation at any point of entry
- Drop-ship modules
- Built-in supplier notifications and alerts
- Configurable business rules for attributes and validation
Perfion gives you one source of product data across all channels, including marketing, merchandising, sales and more.
Perfion integrates easily with existing IT systems, and you can seamlessly export data to Microsoft Office, Microsoft SharePoint, Adobe InDesign, point of sale devices and more.
Retailer fit: Perfion is ideal for retailers with complex product structures, multiple selling channels or multi-language sites.
- Product comparison tool, so you can view previous versions and compare
- Limitless features and attributes
- Built-in supplier and quality assurance specifications for purchasing and sourcing
- Seasonal planning tools to help you plan and prepare for upcoming seasons
- Cross selling tools to boost sales
- Easily print or attach QR codes
Riversand ensures up-to-date product information is available for all areas of the retail business – from sales and merchandising to accounting, IT and more. The enterprise software solution manages workflows from the initial product creation down to its marketing and final sale.
Retailer fit: Riversand can handle millions of products and thousands of attributes, so any size retailer could benefit from this platform.
- Multi-region coverage, so multiple languages, currencies and classifications are simple
- Supports publishing to e-catalogs and print media
- Automates workflows and business processes