Most shoppers do not make a purchase the first time they visit a site, and many consistently add items to a shopping cart without making a purchase.
Below are 22 astounding yet telling shopping cart abandonment statistics.
22 Shopping Cart Abandonment Facts
1. 67.89% of shoppers abandon shopping carts (avg)
2. The average online conversion rate for retailers is only 3%
3. 90% of leads go cold after an hour
4. Retailers lose $18 billion annually due to Shopping Cart Abandonment
5. Abandoners spend 55% more when remarketed
6. Most cart abandonment happens between 8-9pm
7. Most people abandon cart on Thursday
8. 71% of the organic site traffic comes from Google
9. 73% of online shoppers noted unconditional free shipping as “critical” to a purchase
10. 93% of online buyers are encouraged to buy more products if free shipping is included
11. 62% of online shoppers think it’s important for an e-commerce website to have sections for specially priced items
12. 2 out of 3 shoppers said they would buy more online if returns were free.
13. Return site visitors account for 12% of traffic
14. 29% of site visitors return in the first 4 weeks following their initial visit
Why Are Shoppers Leaving My Site?
15. 47% of consumers expect a web page to load in 2 seconds or less
16. 30% of consumers abandon cart because they are comparison shopping
17. 44% of shoppers leave a cart due to high shipping cost
18. 22% of carts abandoned happen due to no shipping information available
19. 27% of cart abandoners leave due to time restraints
20. 15% of customers won’t complete a purchase due to items being out of stock
21. 3% of carts which are abandoned happen due to confusing product information
22. 2% of site purchases are lost due to payment processing issues
(Seats are limited and on a first come, first serve basis)
* Sources: Listrak, KissMetrics, Baymard, Websurveyors, SaleCycle, SeeWhy, Forrester, Compete, MIT